At Habitat Suites sustainability is a part of our core values. We believe environmental stewardship fosters a healthy environment for guests, employees and wildlife while minimizing our impact upon our earth's natural, invaluable resources. Since we opened in 1985, we have implemented new and innovative ways to maintain a sustainable operation. In 1991, we became a charter member of the Green Hotels Association -- long before it was popular to be 'green'. Our goal is to continue to progress and to lead the way in sustainable, responsible business practices.
Efforts in Alternative Energy
- We operate Solar Panels on every building of our property.
- We use Solar Thermal where possible.
- We provide 2 EVC (Electric Vehicle Charging) Stations exclusively for our guests.
Air Quality and Biodegradable, Natural Products
- We clean our furnishings and carpeting using safe, plant-based, zero harsh chemical detergents.
- We offer all-natural, safe for the environment guest amenity detergents and shampoos.
- We maintain a strict non-smoking policy for our property and suites.
- We renovate and repair with Low Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) Paint.
- In every suite there is a live potted plant, to help promote a naturally clean air quality.
- Our suite's windows are operable to allow fresh air into the space.
Land Stewardship & Organic Landscaping
- Our landscaping upkeep uses no pesticides or herbicides.
- Mature, native plants and trees grace our gardens and form a self-sufficient ecosystem.
- We encourage our guests to harvest the many edible organic herbs and fruits we offer from our trees and gardens.
- We send our food waste out to return the nutrients to the soil in the form of compost.
Recycling & Reuse
- Recycle bins are located in every suite and throughout the property grounds for convenient and responsible waste disposal.
- Employees recycle and reuse materials as part of their commitment to Habitat Suite's Core Values.
- Guest amenities and key cards are produced with post consumer content.
- We are affiliated with Austin Creative Reuse and Austin Material Marketplace to obtain and/or donate previously used materials for our back office.
- We compost our breakfast food waste to return organics to the earth.
Energy and Water Efficiency
- Each suite contains a motion and occupancy sensing thermostat that prevents the heating and cooling of empty rooms.
- We use only energy-saving LED and Compact Florescent (CFL) Bulbs.
- Our public restrooms contain motion sensing lighting fixtures.
- We renovate and replace with appliances with Energy Star Certification
- We operate low GPM flush toilets to save thousands of gallons of water annually.
- Rainwater barrels are located around the property for rainwater harvesting and reuse.
- All kitchen and bathroom sinks contain faucet aerators.
- Suite shower heads are considered low GPM.
- We operate a Linen & Towel Reuse program to save electric, gas, water and human energy loss.
- We operate energy-efficient commercial washers in our housekeeping facilities.